10 July 2013

What I Want On Ancestry.com

[opinion alert]

Let's keep this simple.


  • I do not want fancy new Ancestry.com apps.
  • I do not want to be able to "do my genealogy" on my phone.
  • I do not want to scan my pictures from my phone.
  • I don't want to harvest my Facebook site for potential umpteenth cousins a bazillion times removed.
  • I do not want to search when I don't know what I'm looking for.
  • I do not need matches on my tree that suggest my still living mother was born in 1695.


I would like the search results screen to let me "mark" an item as already viewed. That would make Ancestry.com a "durn site" more helpful in my research.  Do it just like it is shown in the picture. The big arrows are optional ;-)

Please. Please.  If you agree, please forward, share this post--url is below the image.



This page is http://rootdig.blogspot.com/2013/07/what-i-want-on-ancestrycom.html

6 comments:

BeachWriter said...

Have you ever looked at mocavo.com's search results? After each result, there is a box headed Match? and under that are Yes, Maybe, No, and Broken. There's also space for a note for each result. It's a godsend for those of us who keep thinking about starting a research log but never get around to it.

Gene Golovchinsky said...

The other related bit would be to show when a record has already been saved, and to which people or person. It might also be useful (if somewhat dangerous) to mark things as "not relevant" or some such. This has to be done carefully, though, when dealing with multiple related people.

nonobar said...

Could you add one more. How about not bothering us with hints which come from trees that we own?

Unknown said...

I would like to be able to ignore some of the family trees that it suggests when I know there is no connection to the people in my tree, while keeping others who may be connected. I only have the option of ignoring all the trees or leaving them all in the hints. I find that frustrating!

Anonymous said...

Michael, thank you. Your comments and examples are right on target. I do hope Ancestry will implement your suggestions.

Love my CP207 said...

Oh please, please! To have any item marked as already viewed would save me SO much time and make research that much better on Ancestry. You've got my vote!!!!