26 December 2012

Offers and Promotions in Our Posts?

Rootdig has advertisements on our blog--both on the right hand side of the site and in between posts for those who see the posts on our blog.

Except for mentioning my own items (newsletter, webinars, and trips), I don't post blog entries discussing free trials, offers for fee-based websites, etc. I do mention things that I've found on some of the fee-based sites, but the only site whose "new content" we mention is FamilySearch as all that content is free.

How do readers feel about blog posts that are essentially commercials for the fee-based genealogy data providers, genealogy merchandise, etc.? I am looking at tweaking our content on Rootdig.com, but do not want to lose regular readers.

Comments can be posted to this post or emailed to me privately.

Thanks for  your support...and Happy New Year!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel like you already have too many commercials of your own. For a while it seemed like there were more discounted webinar posts than content. A real annoyance. More commercials and I would probably stop reading.

Bubba said...

Thanks for the honest feedback--I appreciate it. We are looking at tweaking all the blogs in the new year. I'm not looking to make major changes, but see if there are things we can improve or modify.

One of those things is the frequency of webinar posts, which we are planning on deceasing as we progress into the new year. I've toyed with the idea of a separate list for them, but am not certain that is the best idea either.

I'm not really certain that I want to include any of the offers that most of the other blogs do because most people already see them there and I'm not really wanting to get into "news" and things of that type for a variety of reasons.

Kerry Scott said...

I have zero problem with honest reviews of products and services that I might want to buy. I occasionally give a bit of side-eye to folks who are effusive about EVERYTHING that comes out...but I'm pretty sure that you're unlikely to be delivering that sort of fluff.

Incidentally, I don't mind the webinar posts either. We all have to make a living, and the rest of the content is worth the occasional commercial.

Bubba said...

I appreciate the comments that I received, both as comments and in email remarks.

Effusive is not a word I usually hear next to my name.

We're looking at making some changes over the next few months, but nothing in terms of genealogical content. I also need to streamline my "online" time so as to get the most of it and get the most "bang for my buck."