03 December 2012

I've Never Been There But I Have Seen the Stone

As soon as I saw the photographs on FindaGrave, I knew I had seen some of the Sargent tombstones before some where besides FindaGrave.

The only problem is that I have never been Bell Rock Cemetery in Malden, Massachusetts. I've never visited any cemetery in the entire state of Massachusetts. I attributed my "confusion" to the fact that old tombstones tend to look alike and did not give it any more thought.

John Sargent, Sr (1639-1716), Bell Rock Cemetery, Malden, MA; FindaGravehttp://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=15861657. 3 December 2012--user inactive.
It turns out that I had seen the stone.

I was reviewing some information from the 1895 Sargent genealogy, and it struck me. There was the stone in the book. Or at least a drawing of it.


John Sargent, Sr (1639-1716), Bell Rock Cemetery, Malden, MA; in Hugh Sargent, of Courteenhall, Northamptonshire and his descendants in England, Aaron Sargent, Somerville, Mass. (1895), between pages 32 and 33.
It's a pretty faithful sketch of the stone. Whether or not Aaron Sargent took a picture of it in preparation for his book is another matter.