02 April 2012

Found 3 More in 1940-Fred, Tena, and John Ufkes


After much frustration, I finally downloaded the 1940 census enumeration for my grandfather John Ufkes and his parents--Fred and Tena. Not much here is really "earth-shattering." I did find it interesting that Granddad was the informant on this enumeration. Also found it interesting that Uncle LeRoy was listed as "Roy." I NEVER heard him referred to as that. Great-grandma finished through the 6th grade, which I think was fairly typical for most of the low-German girls of her generation.
--------------------------------------

My webinar on searching the unindexed 1940 census can be ordered here

Souce:
1940 U. S. Census, Illinois, Hancock County, Bear Creek Township, ED 34-5, Sheet 3b, households 66, Fred Ufkes; digital image, National Archives (http://www.nara.gov : accessed 2 April 2012). That's not quite perfect Evidence Explained form, but I'll clean them up later.