29 April 2014

The Only Stone Left Standing

[this post was posted to my Casefile Clues blog some time ago and we're reposting it here since Shakers have been a recent topic of discussion]

This "find" found me thanks to my earlier blog post on Lucinda (Sargent) Fairman


Work on Lucinda, who lived in a Shaker community in Enfield, New Hampshire, has taken a back seat to other things. However, a contributor to FindAgrave recently photographed her tombstone in the Shaker Cemetery in Enfield, New Hampshire. According to the information on the cemetery on Findagrave, Lucinda's stone is the only one remaining. It's not often I get that lucky--over 300 burials and the only stone left is the one I actually need. 


This photograph of her stone was taken by Nicole S Vecchi and is used here with her permission.   


The Findagrave entry can be viewed here


Hopefully we'll have periodic updates on Lucinda and her life in the Shaker community.

Lucinda is a sister to Clark Sargent--my 3rd great-grandfather.