07 August 2012

What to Leave on Those Stones

For those who visit graves, do you leave plastic flowers? I've thought about some biodegradable things I can leave that won't need to be removed and won't take forever to decompose either. Some things that come to mind:

  • real flowers
  • piece of for that relative who had a sweet tooth
  • a little bit of pipe tobacco for the relative who always smoked a pipe
  • an apple for that relative who was a teacher
Not certain what the policies of the cemetery will be, but there could items you could place that won't need to be picked up when mowing time comes around. 

Readers have any ideas?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

How about opening a can or bottle of someone's favorite beverage and soaking it into the ground? I think by dad would appreciate some Budweiser or some Old Crow.

Anonymous said...

I am in cemeteries a lot -- a LOT. The best remembrance I've seen was a 3 x 5 index card that someone had used to write a simple memory about them. In that instance, they had put a fly swatter in the vase and attached card told about how they use to sit on the porch swing and he would swat at the flies. I thought it was just perfect.

A close runner up would be the person that leaves a fishing lure in the tree by a loved one's grave site. It's fun to see the new ones appear hidden among the leaves, and when the barren winter months come the sun dances light off their bright colors.

I am not related to either of the men, nor do I know their families...but I know I would have enjoyed both as a friend. Each visit to that cemetery I check to see what has been left by those that loved them, and miss them.

Ann said...

Jews leave rocks or pebbles when they visit the graves of loved ones. I read this explanation at Yahoo! Answers, http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20090101134140AAlT5nG:
"Judaism requires that the dead be buried. One may not have been able to participate in the original burial of that body, however by adding one small stone, you may continue in the burial of the person who lies under it. Even though this is a symbolic act, it shows that you held the dead in esteem and would have participated in her/his burial if you would have been able to do so." I am not Jewish but like this sentiment.

Bubba said...

I have contemplated a bottle of soda or a spot of tea.

becky said...

tomato plant for my dad