09 February 2012

My 1940 List

This is my list of people I'm going to search for in the 1940 census when it is released on 2 April 2012--updated with results of searches as of 4 April 2012.

I'm going to search for my own family first--largely because they will be easiest to find and I'm liable to find numerous other family members while searching for them (I'm probably going to read the entire townships for the first few). There's a reasonable chance I search Keene Township in Adams County, Illinois, for my Grandma Neill's brothers, but otherwise I'm going to stick to the locations I have and wait to find others until the index comes out.

My wife's 1940 people I'm likely to just wait until the index comes out to locate, with the possible exception of the ones in Linn County, Missouri. I'm curious to see Peter Verikios and Mary Williams, but if they aren't at the Bishop Street address, I'm probably going to wait until the index comes out to find them as well. If time allows, I may try getting city directories to help with locating a few others, but none are going to be so interesting that I'm going to spend days to find them before the index comes out. I am mildly curious about Ola and Anna Lake and hopefully they'll be easiest to find.

Comments--are for me and not really for readers. I know where I mean ;-)

Name
Relationship
Probable Location
Comments--and link to image if found.
Cecil and Ida Neill
Grandparents--found
Prairie Township, Hancock County, Illinois
Should be at the "homeplace." ED 34-29--Prairie Township. Got ED from NARA website. Found them!
Mimka, Tjode, and Dorothy Habben
Great-grandparents and grandmother--found
Prairie Township, Hancock County, Illinois
At the "homeplace" west of Carthage.ED 34-29--Prairie Township. Got ED from NARA website. Found them!
Fred, Tena, and John Ufkes
Great-grandparents and grandfather--found
Bear Creek Township, Hancock County, Illinois
At the "homeplace" east of Basco. ED 34-5. This family lived near the township line with Harmony Twp., but were in Bear Creek.Got ED from NARA website. Found them!
Charlie and Fannie Neill
Great-grandparents--found
Village of West Point or perhaps St. Albans Township, Hancock County, Illinois
West Point ED is 34-33. St. Albans Twp. ED is 34-34. Got ED from NARA website. Found them!
Anna Habben
Great-great-grandmother--found
Elvaston, Hancock County, Ilinois
ED 34-19 or 34-27. Probably 34-27 which is the part of Elvaston in Prairie Twp. Got ED from NARA website. Found her. 
Ola and Anna Lake and daughter Nancy
Wife’s grandparents and mother--found
Marcelline, Linn County, Missouri
ED 58-20 through 58-23 from NARA site. Found them. 
Wilbur and Grace Johnson
Wife’s grandparents--found
Rock Island, Rock Island County, Illinois
1939 and 1940 Rock Island directories put them at 1715 13th Avenue. Found them.
Joseph W. and Eva Mae Johnson
Wife’s great-grandparents--found.
Rock Island County, Illinois
1122 1/2 6th Avenue, Rock Island, Illinois--per 1940 Rock Island directory (Polks). Found them. 
Samuel O. Johnson
Wife’s great-great-grandfather
Galesburg, Knox County, Illinois
May have been in town or on farm outside of Galesburg.
Henry and Caroline Mortier
Wife’s great-grandparents--found
Rock Island, Rock Island, Illinois.
In 1939 and 1942 Rock Island City directories indicate they had a home at 1207 19th Avenue in Rock Island. Found them.
Peter Verikios
Wife’s step-great-grandfather
Chicago, Cook, Illinois
Good luck. Probably at 6934 S. Bishop Street—start there. Steve Morse's site indicates it is ED 103-1190. 
Mary Williams
Wife’s great-grandmother
Chicago, Cook, Illinois
Good luck. Probably at 6934 S. Bishop Street—start there. Steve Morse's site indicates it is ED 103-1190. 
Granville Lake
Wife’s great-grandfather--found
Linn County, Missouri
Probably Marceline. ED 58-20 through 58-23 from NARA site. Was in Bevier, Macon County, Missouri. Found him!
Jennie Trask
Wife’s great-great-grandmother
Galesburg, Knox County, Illinois or Peoria, Peoria County, Illinois.


I could make a much longer list--with aunts/uncles and cousins of various sorts. Given the large number of extended kin I have in some of these locations, I'll probably just read these townships manually as I have time:
  • Prairie, St. Albans, Walker, Bear Creek, and Harmony Townships, Hancock County, Illinois
  • Keene Township, Adams County, Illinois--maybe Northeast and Honey Creek as well. 
Since the images will be totally online, maybe I can get my Mom to read through a few for me--she'll know the names from her side of the family for me--so that will shoot Bear Creek, Prairie, and Harmony.