02 March 2014

You Can Obtain Civil War Pensions at the National Archives

Several readers thought I was serious in my post about the Civil War pensions on Fold3.com when I said I would have to wait 95 years to get my great-great-grandfather's pension. I may have to wait that long to see the digital images online.

Copies can still be requested from the National Archives and there are private researchers in the greater DC area who will make copies from these documents as well. My comment about waiting that long was an attempt at sarcasm--and actually I already have the files for great-great-grandpa Rampley. I also regularly request copies of Civil War pension and other records from NARA and usually mention some of that process in my blog posts.

I don't joke too much on this blog, but next time we'll make the attempt at humor a little more clear.