09 April 2013

German Script--Funeral Text Question

The image below comes from the funeral section of the church register of the Immanuel Lutheran Church, near Basco, Hancock County, Illinois, page 334-335.

This is the section of the entry that apparently mentions the Bible text on which the funeral was based. The heading has been included along with the two entries for the Jans Janssen funeral (part of the next entry is shown as well).

I know what the verses are--from First Timothy and Galatians. My question is what is the abbreviation in front of the verse references?




The second text is also referenced on the tombstone:

2 comments:

KLynn said...

I think in 1929 many had still not broken away from dual language services. I believe the first entry is abrev. for Deutch and second is for English.

Bubba said...

I should have thought of that. I know the church still had many members in 1929 who would have still spoken German.Thanks.