25 August 2011

Newspaper Photo of Gloria Fecht from 1951


It's taken a little while, but I've located one of the better pictures of Gloria Fecht using digital images of newspapers on GenealogyBank.com. This picture was taken at a tournament in St. Paul, Minnesota, at the National Women's Amateur tournament in August of 1951. There were several pictures in various newspapers on GenealogyBank.com, but this one was one of the better ones. It is important to remember the technology of the time and the fact that the digital versions of these newspapers were created from the microfilm. 


I'd never heard of Gloria until I did genealogy, but in looking at the picture of these two women, if I had to guess which one of them was Gloria (who was a member of the Habben-Fecht clan), I'd go with the one on the left as there's a clear resemblance to other members of that family. Gloria Fecht was a granddaughter of Hancock County, Illinois, residents George H. (1868-1938) and Anna (Huls) Fecht (1869-1934). George H. Fecht is a sibling to my great-great-grandmother, Anke Fecht and Anna Huls is the niece of my great-great-grandfather, Jann Habben. 

The larger image shows the picture somewhat better. All in all, a really nice picture from the Seattle Daily Times of 22 August 1951, obtained digitally on GenealogyBank.com.