26 September 2013

How I Made My Ancestor Table

As time allows, I'm updating an online version of my anhentafel (ancestor table). While a table of this type is never complete, there is quite a bit more information that I have that needs to be added (particularly my Ostfriesen lines and my New England ancestors stemming from Clark Sargent). 

While many software programs will automatically generate such lists, I'm creating mine by hand. The long way. There are two main reasons which readers may also find helpful.

  • I am forced to review the information. This serves to get me back "in touch" with families I have not researched in years. It is also giving me some writing ideas.
  • I can customize the display as I please. I realize that some genealogical databases allow for the creation of customized reports of this type. I've got a general format that I follow. I could have used a computer generated chart to edit, but I chose to.
No sources are included. This is intentional and because this chart is one quick place for someone who wants to see if they are related to me to view a listing of my ancestors. Generally speaking, dates of birth and death were obtained from civil or church records of the event. Approximations are always indicated as approximations. 

The table is a nice way for me to see where I still have gaps in my research. It does not substitute for larger, more detailed charts and forms that are used in working on specific families. It does not substitute for larger studies of all children and extended family members. But it is a nice way for someone to see how I connect to a specific person.

------------------

I'm a strong believer in citations and in my work (and in Casefile Clues) I cite material in the spirit of Evidence Explained. Here on the Rootdig blog, I have a different philosophy.