18 January 2013

Reported Dead--He Lives

Date: Wednesday, May 6, 1942  


Paper: Seattle Daily Times (Seattle, WA)--obtained on Genealogybank.com 

I've written about James Fecht before who was believed killed in the Pacific during World War II only to be discovered alive and recuperating in a hospital. Apparently this picture was sent out over the wire services at the time and was taken by the US Navy.

I was tempted to "grab" the first picture I found of James, but I'm glad I didn't. There were several images posted of James in various newspapers, including one in a Maine newspaper with a French caption. Several of the images I located initially were not as crisp and nice as this one.

If you think an item may have appeared in several newspapers, it may be worth your time to look in more than one reference.