14 June 2012

German Topographic Maps at Ancestry.com

Ancestry.com has scanned images of several German maps. The image in this blog post comes from the 1901 set of maps-- Germany, Topographic Maps, 1860-1965. The maps do not have an everyname index as a part of the images. However searches of locations are possible by entering in the desired location in the search box--I had better luck by not having the exact match turned on. One can also browse the maps as well using the grid.

Locating the appropriate grid for Holtrop was done using the overview map (Übersichtsblatt).

I knew the villages I needed were near Aurich. The overview map told me that Aurich was region 173.



This map centers on Holtrop--and includes Wiesens and Wrisse. Four of my great-great-grandparents were born in Wiesens in between the 1830s and 1860s: Johann Ufkes, Jans Janssen, Jann Habben, and Anke Fecht. My great-great-grandfather Foche Goldenstein was born in Wrisse in the 1850s as well. I also have other families from several of the other small villages nearby.




Give the maps a try if you've not looked at them. I used them years ago, but actually forgot Ancestry.com had them.

No comments: