16 February 2014

Reversed Pictures from the 1860s


This is the image as posted on the CNN website on 15 Feburary in an article on President Abraham Lincoln.  I had difficulty reading the handwriting at the top and originally thought that I was losing my ability to read. 

That's not the case as apparently the photograph has been flipped horizontally.

Kadish, Philip, "The Race-Mixing Hoax that Dogged Lincoln, CNN.com, http://edition.cnn.com/2014/02/15/opinion/kadish-lincoln-hoax/index.html?hpt=hp_mid, downloaded 16 February 2014

Because when I flipped the image horizontally, the handwriting was clearly "Lincoln's funeral."
reverse of image above.

Ever wonder if that picture of an ancestor you found on someone's website, blog, etc. has been flipped?

Maybe, maybe not, but I'll be paying closer attention in the future.