05 February 2014

Because I Can Read the Red I Don't Have the Blues About the Blue

I'm a big fan of color images of records whenever it is possible. Color copies always have the potential to reveal things that are not shown as easily on black and white or grayscale images.

This image in this blog post is a good example.  The examiner has written in blue and red on this document. The blue is the claim made by the pensioner and the red is the response.

It would have taken a little doing to figure this out with just a black and white scan. The handwriting in this case was done by the same person, the "color clues" would not have been noticed on a non-color scan.
"Story of Claim" 19 January 1900, Leander Butler, Union Civil War pension based upon service of Leander Butler in Company B, 10th Kansas Infantry, National Archives and Records Service.

To be honest, this document is not crucial to my research on Leander Butler.

But if it had been....

Note:


As mentioned before, we believe in citing information in the spirit of Elizabeth Shown Mills' Evidence Explained. However my editoral policy on this blog is not to include citations as a part of each blog post. We do however include enough information in each post to obtain the original item or to craft a citation (if you think I haven't, please email me and I'll rectify it). We realize others include citations as a part of each blog post, but there are only so many hours in the day. My newsletter, Casefile Clues, does contain complete citations to any items referenced in that work