21 August 2013

Abandoning the Grands and the Greats

Writing is about being clear and sometimes terms are not as clear as we would like. Terms can be especially confusing when describing family members. Degrees of cousinship are often confusing to genealogists, but the "aunts" and "uncles" often bring about more confusion. Many people confuse, misuse, misunderstand, and misinterpret the terms "Grand Aunt," "Great Aunt," "Great-Grand Aunt," etc. that I am very close to not using the terms in my writing. 

The use of these various descriptors is done in an attempt to make the relationship clear. I'm afraid that in most cases, it really does not do that. 

Which is more clear to the reader and explains the relationship more precisely, "My Grand Aunt Nellie (Neill) Shanks" or "My Grandfather Neill's sister, Nellie (Neill) Shanks." I'm starting to think that the second phrasing, while containing more words and slightly more cumbersome, is a more precise description of the relationship. "My Great-grand Uncle Chris Ehmen" is not quite as clear as saying "My Great-grandmother Habben's brother Chris Ehmen." The second phrasing seems more precise to this reader and actually naming the great-grandmother by name would be even more specific, "My Great-grandmother, Tjode (Goldenstein) Habben's brother Chris Ehmen." My Great-grand Uncle Chris Ehmen" does not really describe the relationship of Ehmen to me--which great-grandparent was he a sibling to?

Writing needs to be about clarity and relationships in genealogical writing need to be stated precisely. I'm not certain "grand" and "great" as modifiers for aunt and uncle do that.

Any thoughts?

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I agree with you that clarity is important. So, at the very least, when using the term, they should be defined at the outset. Different families may use these terms in different ways.

Anonymous said...

I think you've said it very well. The ancestor's name and relationship to him/her is clearer than referring to aunts and uncles that could be related through several different people.

Beth said...

I have to agree, using Grand and Great do not give enough information. As you said, Grand Great Uncle to who? Keep in mind we write for the future generations to understand also. Thanks for bringing this to light.

Anonymous said...

How interesting. I generally don't use the grand, great...Because usually the next questions is through who? Or how am I related? Thanks for all your info

Anonymous said...

What IS a grand uncle/aunt. My Reunion software never uses that term.

Bubba said...

Grand uncle/aunt is a sibling to a grandparent. Great-grand aunt/uncle is a sibling to a great-grandparent.

Lisa S. Gorrell said...

Our family never used the term "grand." We said our grandmother's sister was our great-aunt. I do agree that stating my grandmother, Anna (Sullivan) Hork's sister, Loretta Patterson is better than stating my Great-Aunt Loretta Patterson. It clearly defines the relationship.

Barbara in NC said...

An aunt or uncle can also be related by marriage. So even though it's cumbersome, I prefer the precision of:

my Great-grandmother Habben's brother Chris Ehmen's wife Matilda
to
my Great-grand Aunt Matilda Ehmen

Anonymous said...

Of course! My software just shows "g" for "great or grand. I never even though about it. Duh. Thanks.

Family Curator said...

Good distinction! I think Great and Grand are convenient in conversation and direct face-to-face reference, but the second examples do clarify the relationship much better. It seems to me that it's a bit like an introduction: "I'd like you to meet my Great Aunt Mary Taylor. She is Grandmother Jones younger sister." Of course, it's extra nice when the introduction includes a bit more... "Her husband is Tom Taylor and they live over in Wasco."