13 February 2013

Is Ancestry.com Putting Households in ABC Order?

Hopefully this is just a fluke. 

In looking at the "index entry" for John Gronenwl (Gronewold) in Ancestry.com's Nebraska, State Census Collection, 1860-1885, I noticed something unusual.

The entries in the household were alphabetical as shown in this post.


They are not alphabetical in the actual census as shown below.


Hopefully this is some sort of fluke. I always view the actual census so the names being order really don't impact me, but the snapshot in the first image saves me a little time in "mentally estimating" the household.

I'm not certain why the household entries would be alphabetical or even need to be.

Sorting names in a household by name is not helpful--even if it is just for the families in Nebraska.

No comments: