21 February 2013

Are Those PhDs in York County?

A reader on Genealogy Tip of the Day asked this question and since I don't have an answer I thought I would post the question here.

This image comes from a York County, Pennsylvania, tax list which appears in "Pennsylvania, Tax and Exoneration, 1768-1801",  on Ancestry.com. I'm having difficulty determining the year of this entry, but that's not really the reader's question fortunately.

The question is: "What does the apparent "Phd" abbreviation stand for?


 Tax list for Mt. Pleasant in York County, page 49, in "Pennsylvania, Tax and Exoneration, 1768-1801",  digital image on Ancestry.com.

Those who would like to view the complete page can click on the image below:


I'm working on a better citation for this item as I'm not overly happy with how these records are set up and organized on Ancestry.com.

Note: the original data used to create these digital images comes from: Tax & Exoneration Lists, 1762–1794. Series No. 4.61; Records of the Office of the Comptroller General, RG-4. Pennsylvania Historical & Museum Commission, Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would say the first two letters are Ph but don't think the next letter is a d Not sure what it is.

Lynn David said...

Perhaps they live in Philadelphia but have land in York County?

Anonymous said...

"of Philadelphia" maybe?

BeachWriter said...

No idea, but I have a lot of friends and cousins in York County, including some who work at the York County Heritage Trust. I've forwarded your post to them and will let you know if anyone comes up with answer.

Lynda Carter said...

It means per head.