28 July 2011

10 Signs You Have Genealogy OCD

1) You check FamilySearch at 8 AM; 12NOON, 6 PM, and 9 PM every day for updated releases or databases.

2) You've grabbed a green leaf on a real TREE thinking it was on your Ancestry.com page.

3) Your family takes the long way places to AVOID cemeteries when you are in the car.

4) You have seriously thought about HIDING in a library to get locked in after it closes.

5) You spent more searching for your ancestors 1810 tax records than you did preparing your own 2010 taxes.

6) You know more about your spouse's ancestors than you know about your spouse.

7) You would easily spend your entire vacation in a library.

8) You have already scheduled a vacation day from work for when the 1940 census is released.

9) The majority of pictures in your facebook photo section are of people who are dead.

10) You've recognized yourself in at least half of these signs.

(sharing these is great, but please give credit....thanks!)

14 comments:

Unknown said...

This is great - I think my family enables me by purposefully driving by cemeteries... And who *isn't* taking a vacation the first week of April? Crazy people, that's who.

Karen K said...

I can relate to ALL of the above.. You especially hit me when you offered up #4....

4) You have seriously thought about HIDING in a library to get locked in after it closes.

I've even thought of bribing the librarians but so far none have taken me up on my offer! BUMMER!

Mary K. McGraw said...

Its scary that I could relate to so many.

Anonymous said...

This was a terrific post! I added to the list based on Randy's (Genea-Musing) SNGF challenge:

http://www.1ancestry2littletime.com/2011/07/30/saturday-night-genealogy-fun-signs-you-know-you-have-gocd/

Kate Foote said...

I'm guilty of nine - don't have to take the day off for the 1940 census 'cause I'm already retired! Great fun Michael, thanks for the laughs!

Kathleen Baxter said...

This is just hysterical! I am laughing and feeling vaguely guilty! I, too, came from Randy Seaver and bully for him!

genie holt said...

Ok, guilty as charged! Thanks for the reminder about taking time off when the 1940 census comes out - hadn't thought that far ahead!

Schelly Talalay Dardashti said...

A good shot of humor (yours and Randy's). What about when you meet someone and they say they are related to X but don't know how, and you take out a notebook and start drawing charts for them? I've done that!

Laura Aanenson said...

What a hoot! Funny because it's so true!

Teicha Hill Mailhes said...

This is so funny. I was just bargaining with my husband this morning about how much vacation time, I can have for library and cemetery time!

Nancy Naber Beach said...

1. Someone mails an envelope to your town addressed to "The Cemetery Lady" (no name or address), and the Post office delivers it to you.
2. You know more dead people than living.
3. You can walk a row in any local cemetery and recall stories about those buried there, but you don't know the name of anyone living on your block.
4. You don't think twice about dashing to your local historical society in your nightgown in the wee hours of the morning just to look something up (assuming you have a key).

Oh so guilty of all the above.

my Heritage Happens said...

Enjoyed this post, put a smile on my face,noblet thanks!

Unknown said...

I enjoyed this post so much, thanks! I was laughing and nodding through it. lol

Carol G said...

This post reminded me of my 2 week vacation trip in 2008. I live in AZ, and my family lives in the Northeast. Although it was planned to spend time with family, most of it was planned around gathering more pics, docs, and info to add to my research. I planned every single detail and minute of the entire 2 weeks. Busy but very successful.