28 May 2013

Color Scan of Civil War Pension and Fold3 Image

I've been wanting to compare some color images for National Archives materials  with the grayscale digital scans on Fold3. At long last, here's our first from a Civil War pension. The color image was discussed earlier today in a blog post. Clicking on the images will pull up a larger version of the image. I didn't want to overwhelm this blog post with large images.

Here is the image on  Fold3:
Fold3.com image

Here is the same document's color scan made by at the National Archives:

color scan made at NARA

Of course, both images come from this veteran's file.
What do you think of the differences?

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I think both are legible but I think your color scan is clearer and cleaner. Plus I love seeing the color of paper in the old documents.

Ruby Coleman said...

I like the color scan and think it is more legible. But both are doable.