23 May 2012

Sometimes It Is Good to Know When to Stop

I've been madly working on the family of Minerva Sargent Strobel today. I've made several copies/downloads, etc. and have decided that until I coalesce what I have, it's best to stop gathering data. So far, I've located the following things:

  • Actual death certificate of Minerva Strobel in 1943 in Evanston, Cook County, Illinois.
  • Actual death certificate of John Strobel in 1930 in Evanston, Cook County, Illinois.
  • Marriage reference on FamilySearch for John Strobel and Minerva Sargent on 27 Feb 1876--need the actual record. Film 979589.
  • Birth of Strobel child in volume 2, page 155 of Wapello County, Iowa, births. Film 979674.
  • Marriage of Maud Strobel and Mr. Pauley on 4 December 1905 in Wapello County, Iowa. Film 979667
  • Marriage of George H. Strobel and Gwendolyn Martin on 26 November 1899 in Ottumwa, Wapello County, Iowa. Film 979598.
  • Marriage of J. Donald Woody and Carita Strobel (daughter of George H. and Gwendolyn (Martin) Strobel on 25 November 1927 in Ottumwa, Wapello County, Iowa. Film 1765289.
  • 1900 and 1907 Wapello City Directory references for Strobel at Ancestry.com--in my shoebox.
  • 1880, 1900, 1910 census for John Strobel--at Ancestry.com in my shoebox.
  • 1885 Iowa State census for John Strobel--at Ancestry.com in my shoebox.
  • 1910 census for Richard Martin--at Ancestry.com in my shoebox--daughter Gwendolyn Strobel living with him.
I've decided it's time to stop gathering on these people at this point. I'll get the actual records--indicated with film numbers in this post and print out the Ancestry.com items and (when the library is closed) I'll put the information together and decide where to head next.

Gathering too much without stopping leads to confusion.

And it's good to remember my goal: Minerva is the sister of my ancestor, good 'ol Ira Sargent (abt 1843-near Darlington, Ontario--died 1916 Peoria County, Illinois). That's why I'm researching her.