07 October 2012

$90,000 in Her Purse

Date: Thursday, March 3, 1955  


Paper: Register-Republic (Rockford, IL)--obtained on 

Genealogybank.com

I don't think I'll ever find $90,000 in a purse on a buffet., but I did discover this item while looking for Rampley references in various newspapers on Genealogybank.com.

This discovery apparently hit the wire services in 1955, which was why a newspaper in Rockford ran it. Fortunately those newspapers are contained in Genealogybank.com. Rockford, Illinois, is a distance from both locations mentioned in this article--Decatur, Illinois and Plymouth, Illinois, making the point that sometimes things get published in papers a distance from where they happened.

I'm not related to "Mrs. Lloyd Rampley," but Lloyd Rampley is a "double" first cousin to my grandpa Neill.

There would be good clues in this clipping for someone researching her family--beginning with a search for the records of the settlement of this estate which are probably on file in the Macon County Courthouse. Given the likely size of the estate, there likely will be a variety of records.

Somehow I doubt I'll ever find $90,000 in a purse on any piece of furniture, buffet or not.