19 September 2012

Where Would You Go Next?

If a relative tells you that:

"Your ancestor Barbara Haase died in Warsaw, Hancock County, Illinois, in 1903"

where would you research next? What record would you use?

Just post a quick suggestion of the record type you'd search next.

We did this as an exercise in my beginning genealogy class and got some good discussion, so I thought I'd post it here.

Note: I've already researched Barbara pretty extensively--I'm not looking for anyone to research her for me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Search the 1900 census for Hancock Co. IL

Anonymous said...

To start (in addition to the 1900 census), I'd also take a look for newspapers in Warsaw & Hancock County for obits, and I'd check for church and/or cemetery records; depending on Barbara's age,city directories (if available) might list her; I'd also check to see if there were death records at that time at the city, county or the state level;

KLynn said...

I would start with Google to see if there were any posts, which there were quite a few, hoping to get a date of death or someone else with Barbara in their tree. Trying to pin down a date would help searching further in local newspapers. Since I don't live in the area everthing would be by computer with a good timeline before I traveled looking for county records.