26 June 2012

Finding the Fuzz or Fwzuffzzzzwwzwozvtuvvvzz

They were not kidding when the description of the "United States, World War II Army Enlistment Records, 1938-1946" indicated there may be errors in scanning. I wasn't looking for dust bunnies, but I almost found some fuzz by accident.

I searched for the last name of Ufkes--hoping to find my two great uncles who were in World War II. I did not find either of them in the database, but I did get this interesting result:

I'm still trying to figure out what "Fwzuffzzzzwwzwozvtuvvvzz" might have actually been.

The complete entry indicates the person attended school as far as grammar school and was born in 1900.

I've not tried to locate any further information on this person--but this makes the point that there are limitations to OCR.

I already have information on my great-uncles service, so I'm not concerned about not finding them. The description of the database indicates it is incomplete which could easily explain why Uncle LeRoy and Uncle Alvin are not in it:

--------------------------------------------------
Name index to Army Serial Number Enlistment Card Records (approx.3 million), excluding officers, in the United States Army including the Women's Army Auxiliary Corps and the Enlisted Reserve Corps circa 1938-1946. The index is part of Record Group 64: Records of the National Archives and Records Administration. This index is not complete and may contain scanning errors. Database courtesy of the National Archives and Records Administration.
--------------------------------------------------


I just hope that whoever is researching Fwzuffzzzzwwzwozvtuvvvzz doesn't have any difficulty find him. I'm assuming that Fwzuffzzzzwwzwozvtuvvvzz is a "him" as the description indicates the WAAC entries are not included (grin).