27 November 2010

Three Trientjes in Three Adjacent Households


This image comes from the 1910 Census for Northeast Township's Second Precint, Adams County, Illinois. In three households in a row the lady of the house is named Trientje. I always knew Trientje was a good Ostfriesen name (my great-grandmother was a Trientje), but this really drove the point home.
As a note to those who have an ancestor named Trientje, it is a diminutive for Katherine/Catherine. Consequently that's why you might see it Anglicized to Katherine and variations. Of course, some people used Tena, which is what my great-grandmother used.
The couple on entry 35, Henry and Trientje (Behrens) Sartorius, are my 3rd great-grandparents. I'm working on locating her on a ship manifest for an upcoming issue of Casefile Clues.