03 April 2009

Corrections at Ancestry.com

When I see an error at Ancestry.com, I usually take the time to report it. Sometimes I do this just because I might want to find the item again and I would like for others to be able to find it as well. I never keep track of how long it takes for these corrections to be "updated," although Ancestry.com sends a notice when that has happened.

I noticed that my uncle Eielt Janssen Ufkes was indexed in the World War I Draft cards at Ancestry.com as Eielt James. I made the correction. I have no idea how long ago it was submitted, but today I got an email that it had been added. I'm glad that Ancestry.com is adding corrections, but I'm not certain why it takes so long.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I made a few corrections to the transcriptions on Ancestry. I called them breadcrumbs. They worked! One of my 2nd cousins found me last year.

btw I see your Salt Lake City trips are still going. glad to see it. Darlene S. A member of your inaugural Salt Lake trip in 2006.

Guinevere said...

I do the same thing, Michael. Sometimes, I have more knowledge about how the surnames in an area were spelled than the transcriber and, therefore, can tell what the spelling is. I feel this will be a help to others who may not be as familiar with an area and the spelling variations. Plus, some of the transcriptios are jusst pitiful.

Anonymous said...

Michael, when you submit a census correction, do you limit yourself to the proper transcription of what the census taker wrote, or do you also supply the correct information about what the census taker should have written?

David