23 October 2008

Searching the Social Security Death Index for Middle Names

I could have sworn I was dreaming.


My grandmother died on 9 September 2008 in Bradenton, Florida. It was a few weeks later when her name appeared in the Social Security Death Index --first at Genealogy Bank. I did not print out the reference, but I really did not think I had seen her maiden name in the original entry. When I searched for her again today. The entry was there--with her maiden name as her middle name.







I went and searched at Ancestry.com to see what results I obtained on their site. I was hoping they were using an "older" version of the database.



Ancestry.com was apparently using the same version of the SSDI as GenealogyBank was--the results also had Grandma's maiden name listed on the entry (the second image in this post).



I also searched for Grandma at FamilySearch and there found her without the middle name. Unfortunately, my quick experimentation with FamilySearch's SSDI leads me to conclude that they do not return middle names or initials in the search results even if that information is in the SSDI (this is based upon my quick search of Ufkes relatives who appeared in the SSDI at Ancestry.com and GenealogyBank with middle names or initials).


I still could have sworn the entry for Grandma I located a few weeks ago did not have her maiden name included and actually included her middle initial of "A." But maybe I was dreaming.


At least I learned that the Social Security Death Index at FamilySearch does not give middle names or initials in the search results.


And of course, the SSDI at Rootsweb, hasn't been updated yet to include Grandma's entry.