Fold3 has an entry in their Civil War Soldiers material for a William Rhodus from Missouri. The real question is whether or not it is my wife's William Rhodus.
This image comes from Footnote's Missouri Compiled Service Records from the National Archives:
Here's what I think I should do:
- Review what I know about the William Rhodus I am searching, estimating his date and place of birth as best I can.
- Review William in census materials and determine where he likely was living in Missouri at the time of the Civil War.
- Search for a roster of men in the same unit
- Determine if William had any brothers of military age for the Civil War
- Determine where other men who served in this unit were from (at least county or the region of the state).