07 September 2011

Was William Rhodus A Confederate? Getting Started...


Fold3 has an entry in their Civil War Soldiers material for a  William Rhodus from Missouri. The real question is whether or not it is my wife's William Rhodus.



This image comes from Footnote's Missouri Compiled Service Records from the National Archives:
The problem is where to go next in order to determine whether or not this the William Rhodus I am searching for.

Here's what I think I should do:

  • Review what I know about the William Rhodus I am searching, estimating his date and place of birth as best I can.
  • Review William in census materials and determine where he likely was living in Missouri at the time of the Civil War.
  • Search for a roster of men in the same unit
  • Determine if William had any brothers of military age for the Civil War
  • Determine where other men who served in this unit were from (at least county or the region of the state).
When I've done that, it is time to evaluate and go from there. We'll have a report when I've done more research.