11 January 2007

Footnote.com

Footnote.com is posting indexes to some National Archives microfilm along with digital copies of those records. The indexes can be searched at no charge---a really wonderful service that I spent a few hours utilizing this morning.

A variety of records are included at footnote.com, including:

Papers of the Continental Congress (1774-89).
Mathew B. Brady Collection of Civil War Photographs.
Southern Claims Commission.
Name Index to Civil War and Later Pension Files.
Investigative Case Files of the Bureau of Investigation, 1908-22.

A complete press release with more details can be viewed here. I was very excited to learn that these records were online and searchable.

I found a man I thought was a relative in the Bureau of Investigation Files. There are a variety of subscription plans, but I thought I would just download the one image for now as I didn't think I would have lots of time to really use the site now.

Using my credit card, I ordered the one image this morning and received a quick confirmation of my order. Unfortunately there were issues with the image file on the site. Instead of hitting the computer I submitted a comment and included the image number. When I returned from lunch later that afternoon, I received a followup to my email along with the readable copy of the image which would be uploaded to that site later in the day. I was very pleased with the customer service.

Later I'll post an entry about the specific image I got. It was quite enlightening.