12 February 2008

Family Search Labs adds some WW2 draft cards



Family Search Record Search has added some of the WW2 draft cards for the "Old Men's Draft" for those men born between 28 April 1877 and before 16 February 1897.

At the time of this writing, the project is 29% complete, including the states of:
  • Delaware
  • Illinois
  • Maryland
  • Massachusetts
  • New Hampshire
  • Pennsylvania
  • Puerto Rico
  • Rhode Island
  • West Virginia

Cards are arranged pretty much alphabetically by state and users have to browse these images--at present there is no "click and get it right away" index. However, this still is an excellent set of records to have available at no cost.

The sample image is from Peter Verikios, my wife's step-grandfather. I've got a whole bunch more to find in the Illinios set of data. I had searched these before, but time never allowed me to search for all the cards I really wanted.