05 December 2007

Searching Problem at Footnote.com

Maybe it is just that I'm a little tired...

I finally found the Revolutionary War Pension for Samuel Rhodes of Hawkins County, Tennessee using Footnote.com. However, I am having another searching problem for this Samuel. I cannot get his entry to come up in my search results.

When I search the Virginia set of Revolutionary War Pensions at Footnote.com for "Samuel Rhodes" I get no results, yet when I browse these pensions by name, his record comes up--spelled the exact same way as I entered it.

If anyone is aware of what I am doing incorrectly, I would appreciate knowing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was having the same problem last night. I hope it is a temporary thing. They emailed me again last night about the stemming issues you were having earlier. They have stated they were going to take out stemming, but I urged them to leave it in as turned off by default, but to give users the option of a command line character such as ~ or + before a word to turn it on.

Greg Matthews

Guinevere said...

I've been having the same problem too, Michael.
Also, the numbering for the newly added VA Rev War files are strange and I know of at least document that's missing in my Reuben Young file. It seems they rushed to get the pension files up and they might be having a problem keeping it all straight.
Gwen Hobbs

Bubba said...

As of this morning, I am still having the difficulty searching the Revolutionary War Pensions for a name that clearly appears on the list of names in the finding aid for the microfilm. Samuel Rhodes is listed as a pensioner in the Virginia section, but his name does not appear when the Virginia pensions are searched for the name "samuel rhodes."

Bubba said...

It now appears to be fixed. My searches for Samuel Rhodes now bring the Virginia veteran's file up as a "hit."