22 October 2007

Mapping the Sledds in Kentucky

The first image in this post in a plat of an estate division from Nicholas County, Kentucky in the 1830s for the estate of Thomas Sledd. Several things worthy of note here:



  • Thomas Sledd's estate was actually probated in Bourbon County, shortly after his death in 1814.

  • This plat is actually upside down (which I learned when I used DeedMapper to plat the properties out using the legal descriptions)

  • This document was recorded in Nicholas County, Kentucky.

This image was made from a microfilm scan I made while at the Family History Library last May on our annual trip. I have only reproduced the part of the deeds that show the map.


Thomas Sledd was my 5th great-grandfather, his daughter Belinda (Melinda) married Augusta Newman in 1815 and is my 4th great-grandmother.


Another helpful scan I made was the "title" page from the microfilm. I then saved that image along with the scan from the deed books so I could track my source. And we all know how important that is.

In a future post, we'll talk about how DeedMapper was used to plat the properties out "correctly."