05 July 2007

I really cannot read this one...

This is one where I really do not know what the first name is. The last name is clearly Adams. The first one I am not so certain of.

The first image is the signature of Mr. Adams. I am assuming it is a Mr. because the person signing this document mentions attending school with the children of Elam Blain in Hanover Township, Luzerne County, Pennsylvania in the early 1800s and only mentions the male children of Blain. My assumption about the gender could be incorrect.


The second rendering of Adams' name comes from the document itself where the scribe has written the name.
I'm taking guesses on this one. The document is from testimony provided by Adams in the Revolutionary Pension application of Katharine Blaim/Blain, widow of Elam. The testimony was given on 6 January 1848 in Delaware County, Ohio.
These images were taken from the digitized Revolutionary Pension files at Footnote.com.

4 comments:

Mitch Clendening said...

Check out Rulif Adams, listed in the 1840 US Census for Harlem Township, Delaware Co., OH. (Year: 1840; Census Place: , Delaware, Ohio; Roll: 391; Page: 145.)

Guinevere said...

Ruliff or Ruliss is what I'm reading.

Anonymous said...

I believe it says Prulif Adams.

Unknown said...

See Rulif Adams on Rootsweb's Worldconnect