30 August 2010
I have some thoughts, but I'm not certain I'm right. I'm not really certain anyone is. What I do wonder is if anyone does know, are they going to really share this information? Personally, if I knew, I'd try and use that information to maximize my market share or niche of the market. I'm always a little skeptical of anyone who says they know the "real inside" answers and then shares those answers with the masses. But that's just me.
22 August 2010
19 August 2010
Lester was a cousin of Fannie Rampley Neill, my great-grandmother and was a minister.
Might have more discoveries to post from this database, CARLI Digital Collections (Digital archives from Illinois facilities).
So don't forget that your local library may have access to databases that could help your research.
18 August 2010
Because all of us can't get to the conference to see the vendor hall, Casefile Clues (weekly how-to newsletter) is offering blog readers a discount on the annual newsletter, which one subscriber called a regular "conference lecture in her email."
$15 gets you a year of Casefile Clues--visit this link to make secure payment. This offer ends Saturday, the same day as the conference--considering taking advantage of it now--before you forget.
And now, I'll get back to work myself!
17 August 2010
16 August 2010
We are headed to the Allen County Public Library in Ft. Wayne in August 2011! Our trip dates are arrive on 3 August (check in to hotel, meet at 6:30 in hotel, and receive library orientation at 7:00). Trip participants will check out of hotel the morning of 7 August 2011-Sunday.
A more detailed brochure will be posted later--this gives you the basic information about our trip.
We have a group rate at the Ft. Wayne Hilton, you can have up to four guests per room ($99). You will need to request the Rootdig.com rate--which we will link to when the website has been set up. The Ft. Wayne Hilton is conveniently located to the library and is where we will have morning meetings from 8:00 a.m. until 8:45 a.m.--the library opens at 9:00 a.m. You can call the hotel to make reservations and we'll have a direct link to our group rate as soon as I can get it up. You do NOT have to stay at the Hilton and can stay at other hotels/motels in the area--that is up to you. The Hilton is convenient if you want to walk back during the time we are in the library.
What we'll do:
- Michael will make morning presentations Thursday-Saturday.
- Michael is in library from open to close--except for lunch/dinner
- Every attendee gets at least one 30 minute consultation with Michael and more as time allows
- Michael is available for "drop-in" consultations when he's in library and not with another person
- Trip participants can email Michael questions, etc. before the trip and we'll encourage everyone to get ready as much as possible before the trip actually starts
- A private trip website where members can post questions about the trip, their research, etc. We'll also post files there to help attendees with their research and with preparation for the trip.
- Assistance with pre-trip planning (through the website listed above and through email).
- Trip participants are encouraged to send problems to Michael BEFORE the trip actually starts.
Our trip would start at 7:00 p.m. with an orientation on Wednesday night. Early arrivals could easily go to the library before that or meet with me if I'm able to arrive early. We would have all day Thursday, Friday, and Saturday in the library with a Sunday morning hotel checkout. Participants who were fairly close could check out of the hotel on Saturday if they desired. There would be a Dutch-treal meal Friday night after the library closes.
$125 is the complete registration fee (payment can be made here via PayPal). Refunds (less $30 administrative fee) can be had for those make full payment and who cancel before 31 July 2011. You can also hold your spot by making a deposit payment of $50 . Those who would like to pay by check can do so by sending me an email to make arrangements. A registration packet will be emailed to those who register. Any questions about the trip can be emailed to me at email@example.com.
Trip participants are responsible for:
- making their own travel arrangements to Ft. Wayne
- paying for their own meals, etc.
- making their own hotel arrangements and paying for hotel accomodations
- paying for their own copies
More later as a few details are ironed out, but this is the essence of it. Registration will be limited to 20.
12 August 2010
07 August 2010
This separates the name entries out for those who are interested and makes it easier to see the older ones. Also makes it easier for us to create the fan page on Facebook.
http://rootdig.blogspot.com/2010/06/reserve-spot-in-my-2011-family-history.html contains more details about our trip. Email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
$50 will hold your spot!
Discounted room rates are available and we stay right next door at the Plaza--very convenient!